Sunday, April 1, 2012

This is the post I made yesterday and I added a bunch of pictures below it. BB&G are having a blast being 1! (:
                                               ~~~
One year ago today, the blessing of our three babies, Bates, Brooklyn & Grace began. Meeting B, B & G for the first time was indescribable- we enjoyed every minute we were able to spend with them once they were born: moments we had prayed and thought about for quite a while.


In the beginning, the babies were doing very well. But, at 3 weeks old and 3 pounds, Brooklyn had to have her first surgery because of the intestinal infection she got. That week was the scariest week of our lives. Since she wasn't getting better after the surgery, they decided to go in again 5 days later, something that is rarely ever done, but the surgeon insisted that there was no longer any other option- the hope being that something would happen during this surgery that would save our little girl's life. Right before Brooklyn went into surgery, she opened her eyes and looked right at us and we kissed her. Then we waited, prayed, waited, and prayed. Every second seemed like an eternity as we waited in hope and prayer for Brooklyn to get better. I remember when the doctors, surgeon and nurses told us after the second surgery that Brooklyn was starting to become "feisty" (a good sign of strength) and making a turn for the better. My gratitude to Jesus was unceasing. I remember so many days and moments of sitting by her isolette singing the song "I love you, Lord, and I lift my voice to worship you, Oh, my soul rejoice. Take joy, my King, in what you hear, and may it be a sweet, sweet sound in your ear." I would sing that song over and over and over. I wanted Brooklyn to hear Words of the Lord; I wanted His presence there, and it was the only thing I knew to do. It was the only way I knew to stop from crying and to be strong for her (although the second I walked away, I would often cry), to find peace, to keep joy the best I could and to reach up to Jesus with an honest prayer. Even if I sang it over, and over, and over again, I knew He heard my heart, and I knew that Brooklyn was touched by the Spirit of God moving through me. Christian would joke with me about my singing, because, yes, I am very tone-deaf. I really can't sing a note, but we both knew that we would do whatever we needed to in order to carry us through each moment and to give us strength. Brooklyn got stronger and stronger each day, and we rejoiced in that. The nurses called it nothing but a miracle. We couldn't agree more and praise God so often for the amazing miracle he performed in Brooklyn. We are so grateful for her life.


And, then 4 weeks later, we found out that Bates ended up getting the same nasty infection. That was a devastating day. I didn't know how I would get through it, but thanks to God, my strong husband, family, friends, and Brooklyn serving as a sign of strength and hope and Grace doing so well, we did. I remember looking at Brooklyn and thinking if she could get through this at 3 weeks old and 3 pounds, Bates could at 7 weeks old and 6 pounds- his sisters cheering him on and the nurses writing little notes of encouragement to Bates as though his sisters had written them. And, once again, my singing began. We would sit by his isolette, and Christian would listen to me sing those out of tune notes again. Over and over and over. I knew Jesus was watching over Him, and we prayed with such earnest. I couldn't have been more thankful that Bates began to heal quickly after the surgery. After Grace being in the NICU two months, Brooklyn four months and Bates five months, it was a very moving experience to finally bring Bates home and to have our triplets together again, healthy and full of life. We will always remember that moment.


Sometimes it's hard to think back about some of these traumatizing moments, but the wonderful part of looking back is seeing God's hand of strength interwoven during this time, the numerous people who stood with us in prayer and support, and the numerous doctors, surgeons, and nurses who have touched us deeper than they will ever know by saving our three little miracles. Thank you, God, for the skills you have given them, the passion, and the compassion to work in the field that they do- bless them as they continue to rescue and reach out to other little babies.


When I look at Brooklyn crawling around and getting into anything and everything and her precious dimples, when I see Grace imitating us and making hilarious noises, when I see Bates with that irresistible grin and puppy dog eyes, and when I see all of them laugh (one of the sweetest noises you can hear) I have the strength to look back at our journey, and while we went through a lot, I smile at the overriding blessings and joy that came out of this time: our three beautiful babies who were born on April 1st at 7:34pm, 7:35pm, and 7:36pm: Bates Thomas, Brooklyn Leigh, & Grace "Baye" Almon.


I never realized how much joy would come from having our sweet babies. While it is busy and chaotic at times, I would not trade these times for anything. Being able to see BB&G grow and change daily is such a privilege.  Seeing them take from a bottle for the first time, smile for the first time, laugh, sit up, crawl, stand and babble all for the first time is priceless.


So, with all that being said, Christian and I couldn't be more excited to wish our sweet babies, Bates, Brooklyn and Grace a VERY Happy FIRST Birthday! Thank you, Lord!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We had such a wonderful time celebrating with our family and friends today. The festivities started with Mrs. Driskill arriving Thursday night and Leigh (Christian's sister), John, Caroline and Annie all surprising him and flying up from Atlanta Friday! Christian was so excited. 


My parents flew in Saturday night and it was so great having them here joining in the celebration. 


We weren't sure how the babies would react to so many people, but they did great and seemed to just love it! 









Brooklyn just devoured the cake- it was hilarious.


Here are the before and after pictures of the babies' cakes: A true representation of their personalities. (:
 
   
 



Wonderful Bday wreath that Mrs. D made
















Bates trying to get the icing off his hand and Brooklyn chowing down in the background. Grace is pretty much just looking at her cake. (:

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing their first birthday celebration. It seems they had a blast, it is amazing the different personalities each has. It has been a blessing to watch them grow this past year thru pictures, and as Becky Driskill said yesterday God is Good, and may he continue to bless each of you. Rhyda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I feel like I've been to a party !!!! If I were closer, I might have "crashed" it !! The pictures are wonderful as usual and you will never be sorry that you took the time to record these precious moments. Praises continue to go up for the miracle of the babies and prayers continue for your family as well. Love and blessings, "Mrs. Lynn"

    ReplyDelete